Studies in Game Sound and Music, Intellect Academic Publishing
Series Editors: Michiel Kamp, Tim Summers and Mark Sweeney
We’re delighted to announce the launch of a new book series for academic peer-reviewed books presenting high-quality research on video game music and sound.
The series includes both monographs and edited collections. It does not seal game audio into a scholarly suburb, but instead seeks to engage game audio practitioners and researchers from a range of disciplines, including anthropology, computer science, media studies, psychology, sociology, sound studies, as well as musicology.
The books present new research, such as analysis, historical studies, practical investigations and conceptual/theoretical issues. However, they are also designed to support the growing number of graduates and undergraduates who study in this field.
Book types that are suitable for this series include, but are not limited to, books about
- Particular games or game series (e.g. a book on Final Fantasy games)
- Specific types of games (e.g. a collection on sound in horror games)
- Distinct sonic phenomena in games (e.g. a volume on audio in MMORPGs)
- Cultures surrounding games (e.g. a study of fan cultures about video game music)
- Histories and interactions with other media (e.g. histories of game audio, projects comparing game and film sound)
- Conceptual issues and approaches (e.g. investigations into immersion and audio in games, perspectives on alterity and music in games)
- Particular practices of game audio (e.g. explorations of voices and dialogue recording in games)
The books include conceptual, technical and sonic detail, but remain accessible to those with less formal education. Similarly, the authors are asked to ensure that those less familiar with the game medium are able to follow the arguments. Technological discussions are necessary, but they are explained in plain English and in such a way that the sonic implications are clear. The books are easily readable by advanced undergraduate students.
For further information, refer to the proposal guidelines here, or contact us at email@example.com.